Mental Health Specialty, MDT
Company: Union Station Homeless Services
Posted on: September 22, 2022
Title: Mental Health Specialty, MDT
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time
Reports to: Manager, MDT
Reg. Hours Worked: 40 / Week, Exempt
Hourly Rate: $27.76
The Mental Health Outreach Specialist, MDT (Pomona) conducts
outreach and housing navigation activities with a focus on
chronically homeless and highly vulnerable individuals. S/he is a
member of an interdisciplinary team that will provide services to
clients on the streets and in encampments. The Outreach Specialist
will provide mental health assessments and crisis intervention
within scope of practice to clients in need of assistance. S/he
will also address the individuals immediate needs and work to
engage them in the housing navigation process. This position will
enhance existing outreach services to provide clinical and mental
health interventions appropriate to the clients mental health
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, but are not limited to the
* Conducts outreach activities to engage chronically homeless
individuals toward pursuing permanent housing options.
* Receives, assesses, and triages referrals from walk-ins and other
* Conducts standardized screening and triages chronically homeless
* Assists individuals with collecting documents necessary for
applying for permanent supportive housing.
* Attends case conferencing meetings to coordinate services with
* Provides mental health assessments, counseling, and interventions
when indicated, using Recovery Model and Trauma-Informed Care,
among other like philosophies as basis for interventions.
* Connects individuals to other supportive services as needed such
as mental health, health, substance abuse, legal, employment,
* Document services and complete data entry into HMIS database.
* Provide linkage to mainstream resources, such as DPSS or Social
* Provide transportation assistance for the purposes of stabilizing
the current housing crisis.
* Conduct follow-up activities to ensure completion of the crisis
* Identify appropriate interventions to address and resolve the
homeless status of program participants.
* Assists individuals with accessing permanent housing
opportunities including permanent supportive housing, move-in
assistance, shared housing, affordable housing, etc.
* Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
* Work indoors in temperature controlled environment and
occasionally exposed to outdoor weather and driving conditions. The
noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
* Stand and sit for long periods of time; move and walk to various
locations; climb stairs, stoop, kneel, reach, pull, push, bend,
twist, and occasionally lift and or move objects. Use hands to
finger, handle or feel.
* See, hear and speak clearly in order to give and receive
information and instructions.
* Ability to interact with other employees, clients, customers and
members of the public.
* Ability to work effectively under time constraints, prioritize
work, multi-task, and adapt to changing work demands.
* Gather, analyze, synthesize, and classify information.
Transcribe, enter, and post data.
* Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or
* Requires use of a computer keyboard.
* Travel to off-site meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of emergency housing, transitional and permanent
housing resources throughout Los Angeles County.
* Knowledge of housing issues in San Gabriel Valley preferred.
* Knowledge of HUD guidelines and experience working with
subsidized housing programs such as Section 8, Shelter Plus Care
* Current knowledge of social work practices and principles related
to best practice standards.
* Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in
* Proficient in use of laptop computer and Microsoft Windows and
Office software programs (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint,
* Ability to accurately enter client data and notes in HMIS
Homeless Management Information System.
* Proficient with office communication equipment and machines
(telephone, copier, calculator, fax machine, personal computer,
computer printer and scanner).
* Possess valid California driver's license and have access to
properly registered vehicle.
* Bilingual Spanish preferred.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
* Masters Degree in MSW, MFT, MA or Psychology required.
* 1 year of experience working with homeless individuals,
preferably in an outreach/navigation capacity.
Union Station Homeless Services (USHS) requires all new hires to be
fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to your first day of employment
at USHS, unless a documented medical or religious accommodation is
approved as determined on an individual case by case basis by USHSs
Human Resources Executive.
UNION STATION HOMELESS SERVICES EMBRACES DIVERSITY
We embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our
culture of inclusion and belonging. Our commitment to racial equity
within the organization is crucial to who we are and the clients we
serve. Committed to being an anti-racist organization and sharing
the unique cultural experiences from our networks, we offer annual
racial equity training, host ongoing learning experiences through
our lunch n' learns, and participate in on-going mental health
We promote acceptance, respect, teamwork, and fosters diversity in
the workplace. We believe every individual has a story, past, and a
unique set of skills that shape who we are and through this
network, we can learn from each other to become better versions of
ourselves personally and professionally. Through our staff-led
network focusing on diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging and
accessibility, we work to communicate, educate, and express diverse
cultivation through our eight Diversity Networks. We are honored
that the Diversity Network has been recognized as part of the
Community Impact Awards presented by the Los Angeles Business
Union Station Homeless Services is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: Union Station Homeless Services, Pomona , Mental Health Specialty, MDT, Healthcare , Pomona, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!